Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thanks to Veterans

Today is Veterans Day and I thank all veterans for the sacrifices they have made for all of us.

I've been reading the Book of John in the Bible and just today came to the verses in Chapter 15 where Christ said:
11. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.  12. This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.  13. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  14. You are my friends if you do what I command you.  15.  I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.  16.  It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.  17. This I command you: love one another (John 15:11-17 NABRE).
A soldier often faces immediate death and must come to terms with it.  Though I've never been in the armed forces, I'm sure that is a difficult task.  But we will all die eventually, barring the Second Coming before that.  In the meantime we can give ourselves to each other in the way we spend our time and act on what we believe is important.

I pray the Lord help us to love each other as we should.  To do this, many emphasize charity in material ways.  But we also love others by telling them about God and how He has given us physical life through His creation and gives eternal life through belief in His son, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. You do not have to agree, but please be civil. Thanks for your interest.