Friday, October 31, 2008

Galleys, Phillies

After looking through my book's galleys, I found some more mistakes (mine) and so I changed the file and re-submitted it to the printer. We also worked on the cover--I don't have the right color for the title yet and I'd like the picture adjusted a little. I'll pick up the new galleys tomorrow and I hope to get it back the beginning of next week. Then only about a week to print them!

I have learned a few more things about copyright. The US office recommends we read the circulars they have about it, so I opened the first one, Copyright Basics, HERE. They said the copyright starts when the book (or music or poem or whatever) is published. So, we don't have to wait for the office to tell us it is copyrighted:
Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created
in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship
immediately becomes the property of the author who created
the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights
through the author can rightfully claim copyright.
I thought I had read somewhere (a long time ago) the copyright starts when it reaches their office. Still, I will be sending in the application as soon as I get the book. They want to know the date it was put into printed form, so I'll be filling that in when the printer tells me it's done.

The more we do, the more we learn. I'm excited to get on with the process. We have a lot to learn about marketing, too.

Congratulations to the 2008 World Champion Phillies. I am from Pennsylvania and my family was a big fan of the Phillies as I grew up. I went to the University of Pennsylvania and worked in Philadelphia for a while after graduating. I moved to other places and didn't follow them as closely, but I'm surprised how emotionally involved I got while watching the post-season. I saw the last pitch and was very happy for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. You do not have to agree, but please be civil. Thanks for your interest.