Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Latin America

One thing I'm interested in besides ID theory is Latin American studies and the Hispanic population of our country. I watch the Hispanic news on Univision channel on cable. A pet peeve of mine is the lack of news coverage of Latin America on our own news stations. You would think the other countries in this hemisphere did not exist. I am very glad to understand enough Spanish to watch "las noticias" (news) and a few "novelas" (soap operas). We only getI mainly watch one Spanish-speaking station, but to me it is worth the whole cable channel price. (My husband likes the sports.) I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and one semester not that long ago at our city's Community College. Since then, I volunteered for English as a Second Language (ESL), and had a wonderful time with my "student." We learned a lot from each other and are now good friends.

I find the Spanish stations extremely good. I will go into more details later, I hope. Today is busy because there's a lot of college football on. Penn State is my alma mater and Michigan is my husband's. (It's Saturday--I often write ahead and the posts come out Tuesdays and Fridays.)

Then we are going to a Buster Keaton film retrospective. His fan club meets in Muskegon every year because the actor spent time here as a youth, and they found there are many local residents interested in him also. They show his old movies at their yearly meetings which are open to the public on a Saturday night. It is a good place for Tom & I to celebrate our 20th anniversary of being engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. You do not have to agree, but please be civil. Thanks for your interest.